Peasant Soup Recipe
- 1 pound dried great northern beans
- 6 cups water
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1. Rinse and sort beans. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened.
- 2. Drain and rinse, discarding liquid. Return to Dutch oven. Add 6 cups water, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, bay leaves, tomatoes, basil and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours or until the beans are tender.
- 3. Discard bay leaves. Add oil and heat through. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
One 1-cup serving equals 140 calories, 3 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 73 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.