I prepare this supper frequently throughout the year, substituting whatever vegetables are in season. No matter how often I make it, I'm always asked for the recipe.
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 6 bacon strips
- 4 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound fully cooked Polish sausage
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon to paper
- towel to drain. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Add
- potatoes, broccoli, carrots, celery and onion to drippings; cover
- and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes or until vegetables are
- crisp-tender. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cut sausage diagonally
- into 1/2-in. slices; place on top of vegetables. Cover and simmer
- for 10 minutes. Crumble bacon; sprinkle on top. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 382 calories, 25 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 707 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 12 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as