I prepare this supper frequently throughout the year, substituting whatever vegetables are in season. No matter how often I make it, I'm always asked for the recipe.
- 6 bacon strips
- 4 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound fully cooked Polish sausage
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towel to drain. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Add potatoes, broccoli, carrots, celery and onion to drippings; cover and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cut sausage diagonally into 1/2-in. slices; place on top of vegetables. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Crumble bacon; sprinkle on top. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Peasant Skillet in Country Pork 1996, p54
Reviews for Peasant Skillet
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review