- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (46 ounces) V8 juice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) Italian tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 3/4 cup kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup medium shell pasta, cooked and drained
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the broth, celery, carrots and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the V8 juice, tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, pepper and garlic powder. Cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook pork over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add meat and beans to soup; cover and simmer 30-45 minutes longer or until heated through. Stir in pasta just before serving. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Peasant Pasta Stew
Sort By :
"Made this numerous time, always love the taste, the V8 adds the wonderful flavour, am trying it with ground chicken this time as my husband isn't a fan of pork."
"This is excellent! I often vary the beans and the pasta shapes. I use this same recipe to make hamburger vegetable soup."