- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (46 ounces) V8 juice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) Italian tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 3/4 cup kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup medium shell pasta, cooked and drained
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the broth, celery, carrots and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the V8 juice, tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, pepper and garlic powder. Cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook pork over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add meat and beans to soup; cover and simmer 30-45 minutes longer or until heated through. Stir in pasta just before serving. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Peasant Pasta Stew
"Made this numerous time, always love the taste, the V8 adds the wonderful flavour, am trying it with ground chicken this time as my husband isn't a fan of pork."