- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm water. In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and sugar. Add the yeast mixture and remaining water; stir until combined. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Stir dough down. Divide in half. Place each half in a greased 1-qt. round casserole or ovenproof bowl. Brush tops with butter and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Remove from pans; serve warm if desired. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews for Peasant Bread
Sort By :
"This was a first attempt at making bread for me and I was very pleased with the easy recipe (and with myself LOL). I was watching my grandchildren as the bread rose so oops, the first rise was for 1-? hours (inside a slightly warm oven). I didn't butter the top of the dough or sprinkle it with seeds - again because of my grandchildren. I used extra butter to grease the two pans and got a good buttery taste that way. My second rise was on the stove top and only took 30 minutes. I will try this again."
":) Very good... I included roasted garlic and it was very good!!"
"this bread is so easy. next time i am going to put garlic cloves in it instead of poppy seeds"