- 1 pound dried great northern beans, washed and sorted
- 2-1/2 quarts cold water, divided
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 to 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak beans overnight in 2 qts. water.
- Add remaining water to softened beans and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients; simmer 1 hour or until beans are tender. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Peasant Bean Soup in Country Extra September 1991, p45
Reviews for Peasant Bean Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review