Peas in Cheddar Cream Sauce
“My family really likes these peas,” says Kelly Gerhardt. They make an appearance at her home in Council Bluffs, Iowa for holiday dinners. We’ve downsized the recipe for you to enjoy anytime!
3 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen peas, thawed
- In a small saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in the
- flour, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in milk until blended. Bring
- to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in
- cheeses until melted. Add peas; heat through. Yield: 3 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup equals 254 calories, 14 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 567 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 13 g protein.