Peas a la Francaise
“I love peas, and this recipe is a favorite. It features tiny pearl onions touched with thyme and chervil, and its presentation is lovely.”
—Christine Frazier, Auburndale, Florida
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups pearl onions, trimmed
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chervil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- In a Dutch oven, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add pearl onions; boil
- for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the
- onions, water, sugar and seasonings. Add peas and lettuce; stir
- until blended. Cover and cook for 6-8 minutes or until vegetables
- are tender. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 12 servings (1/2 cup
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 112 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 315 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.