Pearl Onion Mushroom Bake Recipe
- 24 pearl onions
- 1 cup water
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 10 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the onions, water and salt. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Transfer to two greased 1-qt. baking pans; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in 4 tablespoons butter and lemon juice until tender. In a small saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into mushroom mixture. Pour over onions.
- 3. Melt remaining butter. Add cheese and bread crumbs; toss to coat. Sprinkle over each casserole.
- 4. Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the second casserole at 375° for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until golden brown.
- 5. To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator for 8 hours. Bake as directed. Yield: 2 casseroles (4 servings each).
1 each: 261 calories, 21g fat (13g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 1162mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Pearl Onion Mushroom Bake
"fat content too high even using reduced or fat free cheese and milk."
"I thought this was pretty awful. Not good at all."