Pearl Onion Mushroom Bake Recipe
In Livermore, California, Diane Caragio assembles this saucy side dish days before she needs it. "Take one out of the freezer in the morning, and it's ready to be baked for dinner," she offers. "It's great with turkey or ham."
- 24 pearl onions
- 1 cup water
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 10 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- In a small saucepan, combine the onions, water and salt. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Transfer to two greased 1-qt. baking pans; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in 4 tablespoons butter and lemon juice until tender. In a small saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into mushroom mixture. Pour over onions.
- Melt remaining butter. Add cheese and bread crumbs; toss to coat. Sprinkle over each casserole.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the second casserole at 375° for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until golden brown.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator for 8 hours. Bake as directed. Yield: 2 casseroles (4 servings each).
Originally published as Pearl Onion Mushroom Bake in Quick Cooking September/October 2000, p14
Reviews for Pearl Onion Mushroom Bake(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review