Pearl Onion Mushroom Bake Recipe
- 24 pearl onions
- 1 cup water
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 10 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- In a small saucepan, combine the onions, water and salt. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Transfer to two greased 1-qt. baking pans; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in 4 tablespoons butter and lemon juice until tender. In a small saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into mushroom mixture. Pour over onions.
- Melt remaining butter. Add cheese and bread crumbs; toss to coat. Sprinkle over each casserole.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the second casserole at 375° for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until golden brown.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator for 8 hours. Bake as directed. Yield: 2 casseroles (4 servings each).
Originally published as Pearl Onion Mushroom Bake in Quick Cooking September/October 2000, p14
Reviews for Pearl Onion Mushroom Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 30, 2009
fat content too high even using reduced or fat free cheese and milk.
Reviewed Jan. 28, 2009
I thought this was pretty awful. Not good at all.