Pearl Onion Broccoli Bake
With its creamy white cheese sauce and buttery crumb topping, this dish is great comfort food. If you’re looking for a mild way to dress up broccoli, this is the recipe. —Charles Keating, Manchester, Maryland
12-15 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 4 packages (8 ounces each) frozen broccoli cuts
- 4 cups frozen pearl onions
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, cubed
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook broccoli in 1 in. of water until almost
- tender; drain. Cook pearl onions in 1 in. of water until almost
- tender; drain.
- In a large saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter; stir in flour, salt and
- pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and
- stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cream
- cheese until smooth and blended.
- Place broccoli and onions in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Add sauce and gently stir to coat. Melt the remaining butter; toss
- with bread crumbs. Sprinkle crumbs and cheddar cheese over
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until topping is