Pear-Topped Ham Steak Recipe
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) sliced pears
- 1 fully cooked ham steak ( 1/2 inch thick and about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 to 3 teaspoons minced fresh mint
- 1. Drain pears, reserving the juice; set pears and juice aside. In a large skillet, brown ham steak in oil on both sides; drain. Remove ham from pan and keep warm.
- 2. Combine cornstarch, ginger and water until smooth; stir in reserved pear juice. Gradually add to the skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add ham and reserved pears; cook until heated through. Sprinkle with mint. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 289 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 1,458 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.