Pear Tomato Preserves Recipe
I have lived on a farm all my life, so I have always had a garden. I can a lot of my garden-grown fruits and veggies and I make these wonderful preserves every year.—Evelyn Stearns, Alto Pass, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1-1/4 hours Process: 20 min. YIELD:20 servings
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 medium lemons, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 pounds yellow pear tomatoes, chopped
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine sugar, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, lemons and water. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the tomatoes. Reduce heat to low; continue cooking for 45-60 minutes or until tomatoes become transparent, stirring frequently.
- 2. Ladle hot mixture into five hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- 3. Place the jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process 20 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 5 half-pints.
1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 165 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 12 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC