Pear Tomato Preserves
I have lived on a farm all my life, so I have always had a garden. I can a lot of my garden-grown fruits and veggies and I make these wonderful preserves every year.—Evelyn Stearns, Alto Pass, Illinois
20 ServingsPrep: 1-1/4 hours Process: 20 min.
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 medium lemons, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 pounds yellow pear tomatoes, chopped
- In a Dutch oven, combine sugar, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, lemons and
- water. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes. Reduce heat to low; continue cooking for 45-60
- minutes or until tomatoes become transparent, stirring frequently.
- Ladle hot mixture into five hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in.
- headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by
- adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands
- until fingertip tight.
- Place the jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they
- are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process 20
- minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 5 half-pints.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 165 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 12 mg sodium,