Pear Sundae French Toast
Coming upon this creation in a potluck line, I left with a full plate and the recipe. Now my family "oohs" and "aahs" as soon as I bring out this fruit-topped favorite. It's great for brunch or as a fanciful finish to a meal.
-Carol Schumacher, Menoken, North Dakota
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 3 medium ripe pears, peeled and sliced (about 2-1/2 cups)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- Ice cream
- In a skillet, combine 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons butter and
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon; cook and stir until sugar dissolved. Add
- pears; cook until tender.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, milk, vanilla, nutmeg, and remaining
- brown sugar and cinnamon. Dip bread in egg mixture to coat each
- side. Melt remaining butter in a skillet. Fry bread over medium heat
- for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Top with ice cream
- and pear mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 444 calories, 17 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 141 mg cholesterol, 558 mg sodium, 64 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 10 g protein.