Pear Sundae French Toast Recipe
Coming upon this creation in a potluck line, I left with a full plate and the recipe. Now my family "oohs" and "aahs" as soon as I bring out this fruit-topped favorite. It's great for brunch or as a fanciful finish to a meal. -Carol Schumacher, Menoken, North Dakota
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 3 medium ripe pears, peeled and sliced (about 2-1/2 cups)
- 3 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- Ice cream
- In a skillet, combine 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons butter and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon; cook and stir until sugar dissolved. Add pears; cook until tender.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, milk, vanilla, nutmeg, and remaining brown sugar and cinnamon. Dip bread in egg mixture to coat each side. Melt remaining butter in a skillet. Fry bread over medium heat for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Top with ice cream and pear mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Pear Sundae French Toast in Taste of Home August/September 2000, p27
Reviews for Pear Sundae French Toast(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 28, 2010
With or without icecream this is soooo good!
I make this for dessert with the ice cream, and for breakfast I just use maple syrup. My kids love it!