Pear Sundae French Toast Recipe
Coming upon this creation in a potluck line, I left with a full plate and the recipe. Now my family "oohs" and "aahs" as soon as I bring out this fruit-topped favorite. It's great for brunch or as a fanciful finish to a meal. -Carol Schumacher, Menoken, North Dakota
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 3 medium ripe pears, peeled and sliced (about 2-1/2 cups)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- Ice cream
- In a skillet, combine 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons butter and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon; cook and stir until sugar dissolved. Add pears; cook until tender.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, milk, vanilla, nutmeg, and remaining brown sugar and cinnamon. Dip bread in egg mixture to coat each side. Melt remaining butter in a skillet. Fry bread over medium heat for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Top with ice cream and pear mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Pear Sundae French Toast in Taste of Home August/September 2000, p27
Reviews for Pear Sundae French Toast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 6, 2014
"This one was gone in seconds. Family wants it again soon."
Reviewed Dec. 28, 2010
"With or without icecream this is soooo good!I make this for dessert with the ice cream, and for breakfast I just use maple syrup. My kids love it!"