With our 12 acres of fruit trees, fruit pies are popular at our house! One of my favorites is this recipe because it showcases pears simply and wonderfully.Jean Lauer, Summerland, British Columbia
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 6 cups sliced peeled ripe pears
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the pears, lemon juice and peel and
- coriander. Add 1/2 cup sugar; toss gently to coat. Spoon into pie
- shell. In a small bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, mace and
- remaining sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse
- crumbs. Sprinkle over pears.
- Bake at 400° for 45 minutes or until filling is bubbly and
- topping is browned. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or cold with ice
- cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 387 calories, 15 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 178 mg sodium,