Pear Pie with Cardamon Cream Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom, divided
- 3 medium pears, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine or pear nectar
- 4 ounces Brie cheese, rind removed, cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar, flour, 1/4 teaspoon ginger and 1/4 teaspoon cardamom; add pears and wine. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in the cheese, butter and lemon juice until cheese is melted. Combine the remaining sugar, ginger and cardamom; set aside.
- 2. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim to 1 in. beyond edge of plate. Spoon filling into crust. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Brush with water; sprinkle with sugar mixture.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack.
- 4. In a large bowl, beat the cream, honey, ginger and cardamom until stiff peaks form. Serve with pie. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece with 1/4 cup cardamom cream equals 609 calories, 31 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 309 mg sodium, 76 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Pear Pie with Cardamon Cream
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.