Pear Pandowdy Recipe
- 2 medium firm pears, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons water
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until pears are tender. Pour into a greased 3-cup baking dish.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in water. Sprinkle over pear mixture. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into topping comes out clean and topping is lightly browned. Serve warm with ice cream if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 594 calories, 32 g fat (20 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 572 mg sodium, 76 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Pear Pandowdy
"A family favorite. My picky little eaters will gladly finish their dinners to get a taste and are all to happy to "help" me make this dessert even though I've been making it since I saw it in a ToH magazine years ago! I do usually make extra topping and add brown sugar to it, but the recipe is delicious without modification. I have substituted apples when pears were unavailable and that was delightful as well"