Pear Pandowdy Recipe
- 2 medium firm pears, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons water
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until pears are tender. Pour into a greased 3-cup baking dish.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in water. Sprinkle over pear mixture. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into topping comes out clean and topping is lightly browned. Serve warm with ice cream if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
1/2 cup: 594 calories, 32g fat (20g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 572mg sodium, 76g carbohydrate (45g sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Pear Pandowdy
"A family favorite. My picky little eaters will gladly finish their dinners to get a taste and are all to happy to "help" me make this dessert even though I've been making it since I saw it in a ToH magazine years ago! I do usually make extra topping and add brown sugar to it, but the recipe is delicious without modification. I have substituted apples when pears were unavailable and that was delightful as well"