Pear Oven Omelet
An abundant crop of pears was the inspiration for this recipe. What a great way to start the day! My husband and children request this omelet frequently.—Sandra Lackie, Creemore, Ontario
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 medium ripe pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In an ovenproof 10-in. skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in
- the cinnamon, ginger and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Cook for 1 minute or
- until sugar is dissolved. Add pears. Reduce heat; cook for 5 minutes
- or until pear are softened, stirring occasionally. Remove from the
- heat; arrange pears evenly in the skillet.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, egg yolks and
- vanilla until smooth. In a small bowl, beat the egg whites with
- remaining sugar until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the egg
- yolk mixture just until blended.
- Spread over the pears. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 10 minutes or
- until puffed and golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 250 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 228 mg cholesterol, 121 mg sodium,