An abundant crop of pears was the inspiration for this recipe. What a great way to start the day! My husband and children request this omelet frequently.—Sandra Lackie, Creemore, Ontario
Recommended: 39 Amazing Ways to Love Whole Grains
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 medium ripe pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In an ovenproof 10-in. skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the cinnamon, ginger and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Cook for 1 minute or until sugar is dissolved. Add pears. Reduce heat; cook for 5 minutes or until pear are softened, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; arrange pears evenly in the skillet.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, egg yolks and vanilla until smooth. In a small bowl, beat the egg whites with remaining sugar until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the egg yolk mixture just until blended.
- Spread over the pears. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 10 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Pear Oven Omelet in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p264
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Pear Oven Omelet
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 13, 2012
"I made it today and it was delicious! The pears were perfect. I would call it more of a souffle than an omelet though. Will definitely make it again!"