Pear Mushroom Strudels Recipe
- 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 2 small pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook mushrooms and onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in pears; cook 3 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in the Gruyere, almonds, mustard, salt and pepper. Cool to room temperature.
- 2. Melt remaining butter. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; brush evenly with butter. Sprinkle with 1-1/2 teaspoons Parmesan cheese. Layer with four more sheets of phyllo, brushing each sheet with butter and sprinkling with cheese. (Keep remaining phyllo dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.)
- 3. Spread half of the pear mixture in a 2-in.-wide strip along a short side of dough. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with the pear side; pinch seams to seal. Brush with butter. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- 4. Repeat with remaining phyllo, butter, Parmesan cheese and pear mixture.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 16-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes. Cut each strudel into 12 slices. Yield: 2 strudels (12 slices each).
1 slice equals equals 83 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 134 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.