Pear-Mascarpone French Toast Recipe
My twist on French toast features a spiced pear and cheese filling. This dish is great for Sunday breakfast or brunch with the family and is elegant enough for company. —Emily Butler, Canton, Ohio
- 2 medium pears, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 carton (8 ounces) Mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 8 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Maple syrup, optional
- In a small saucepan, cook pears in 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or just until tender. Remove from the heat; cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat cheese. Stir in the sugar, ginger, 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon and pears. Cut a pocket in the side of each slice of bread. Carefully fill each pocket with about 1/4 cup of pear mixture.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla and remaining cinnamon. Carefully dip both sides of bread in egg mixture (being careful to not squeeze out filling).
- In a large skillet, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Cook stuffed bread on both sides until golden brown. Serve with syrup if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Pear-Mascarpone French Toast in Country Woman October/November 2008, p32
Reviews for Pear-Mascarpone French Toast(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Breakfast Recipes >
- Christmas Brunch Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Breakfast Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Breakfast Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Easter Breakfast Recipes >