- 4 cups sliced peeled fresh pears (about 4 medium)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- GINGERBREAD LAYER:
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, combine the first five ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes or until pears are tender, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into pears. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in crystallized ginger. Transfer to a greased 8-in.-square baking dish.
- In a large bowl, beat buttermilk, sugar, molasses, egg and oil until sugar is dissolved. In another bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients; gradually beat into buttermilk mixture. Pour over pear mixture.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until filling is bubbly and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Pear Gingerbread Cobbler
"I made this dessert and I'd used 2 15-oz. cans of pears, drained, which I sliced, rather than using fresh pears since I'd had them on hand. Instead of the 1/2 cup of water, I'd used the pear juice from one of the cans of pears. I'd used 1/2 tsp. salt, rather than the 1/4 tsp. salt for the dry ingredients and I'd used freeze-dried ginger since I couldn't find crystalized ginger for the pear filling! I also found that I'd needed to bake this dessert for a total of 40 minutes, rather than 20 to 25 minutes! I was pleased with how this dessert came out! Thank you for sharing this recipe with Taste of Home! delowenstein"
"I love the flavors of this cobbler recipe. I increased the cinnamon to 1/2 tsp. and served it warm with vanilla ice cream. Delicious!"
"The brightness of the pears and the warmth of the gingerbread and spices creates an irresistible autumn treat. A very inventive recipe!"