Crave the taste of gingerbread at Christmastime? Why stop at making cutout cookies? Enjoy this elegant swirled dessert. It dresses up a spiced molasses cake with a luscious pear filling. —Gwen Beauchamp, Lancaster, Texas
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon each ground ginger, cinnamon and allspice
- 2 to 3 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 medium pears, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons pear brandy or brandy
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Additional confectioners' sugar and ground cinnamon, optional
- Line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease and flour the pan and paper. Set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs and egg yolks for 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar; beat for 2 minutes or until mixture becomes thick and lemon-colored. Beat in butter and molasses. Combine the flour, baking powder and spices; fold into egg mixture. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 9-11 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a small skillet, saute pears in butter until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in brandy. Cool completely. In a large bowl, beat the cream, confectioners' sugar, cinnamon and ginger until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in pear mixture.
- Unroll cake and spread filling over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Dust with additional confectioners' sugar and cinnamon if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Pear Gingerbread Cake Roll in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2010, p53
Reviews for Pear Gingerbread Cake Roll
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review