Pear Gingerbread Cake Roll Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon each ground ginger, cinnamon and allspice
- 2 to 3 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 medium pears, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons pear brandy or brandy
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Additional confectioners' sugar and ground cinnamon, optional
- Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease and flour the pan and paper. Set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs and egg yolks for 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar; beat for 2 minutes or until mixture becomes thick and lemon-colored. Beat in butter and molasses. Combine the flour, baking powder and spices; fold into egg mixture. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 9-11 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a small skillet, saute pears in butter until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in brandy. Cool completely. In a large bowl, beat the cream, confectioners' sugar, cinnamon and ginger until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in pear mixture.
- Unroll cake and spread filling over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Dust with additional confectioners' sugar and cinnamon if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Pear Gingerbread Cake Roll
Sort By :
"My first attempt at a cake roll was this recipe tonight and it was fun and easy! I must admit I was a bit nervous about the rolling part but it all worked out! The end result is a truly delicious tasting dessert. I will never make plain whipped cream again - the cinnamon and ginger added so much flavor! This recipe is a keeper and will definitely make it again!"
"Everyone loved this on Christmas. I'm always looking for new cake roll recipes...this one I will definitely make again. I used Triple Sec instead of Brandy."
"Looking forward to trying this one!!!!!!!"
"Jellyroll cakes tend to be forgotten in the era of overdone "fancy" cakes. They shouldn't be, though. Easy to make and present, they're total charmers. This one is terrific for wintertime, nicely spiced with warm flavors. I added a little allspice and nutmeg to the cake and to the filling whipped 2 ounces of cream cheese with the sugar before adding the cream. It definitely was a hit, the cake soft and tender, the filling rich and creamy. Serious yum!"
"I'm going to try this recipe. It sounds good to me. We shall see."