Pear-Fect Pork Supper Recipe
This hearty dish nicely pairs sweet and savory flavors. Notes Lori Jameson of Chattaroy, Washington, "It's different, colorful, and I can make the entire meal in the time it takes to cook the rice."
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 bone-in pork rib chops (3/4-inch thick and 7 ounces each)
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 can (8-1/2 ounces) sliced pears
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- In a small saucepan, bring the water, raisins and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 18-20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle pork chops with pepper and remaining salt. In a large skillet, brown chops on both sides in oil over medium-high heat. Remove and keep warm.
- Drain pears, reserving juice; set pears aside. Add enough water to juice to measure 1 cup. Combine cornstarch, pear juice, soy sauce and thyme until blended; set aside.
- In the drippings in the skillet, saute red pepper, onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in pear juice mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Return chops to skillet. Cook for 4 minutes. Add pears; cook 2 minutes longer or until pork is tender and pears are heated through. Serve with rice. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Pear-Fect Pork Supper in Country Woman January/February 2003, p39
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Pear-Fect Pork Supper(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Pork Chop Recipes >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >
- Pork Main Dishes >
- Pork Recipes >
- Quick Dinner Recipes >
- Quick Pork Dinner Recipes >
- Quick Pork Recipes >