Pear Dessert Squares Recipe
"Pears are so luscious sparked with spices and topped with graham cracker crumbs in this yummy dessert," says Jacquie Guarriello of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. "I try to have low-sugar desserts available at family gatherings because three of my relatives are diabetic. This treat is always a hit."
- 1-1/2 pounds pears, sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup thawed unsweetened apple juice concentrate
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat cinnamon graham cracker crumbs (about 4 whole crackers)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- Additional ground cinnamon
- 1. In a bowl, toss the pears, 1 tablespoon flour and apple juice concentrate. Spoon into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. In a bowl, combine the crumbs, cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining flour. Cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over pears.
- 2. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until pears are lightly browned. Serve warm or chilled. Cut into squares; top with whipped topping and cinnamon. Yield: 9 servings.
One serving equals 127 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 74 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC