I’ve found that kids enjoy nutritious foods more if they’re dressed up a bit and served in small kid-size portions. Handy canned pears get new appeal when made into individual Pear Crisp Cups. These yummy treats are no fuss to prepare, and kids love the crunchy brown sugar, cinnamon and almond topping. They’re a super snack or dessert.
Recommended: 24 Christmas Puddings for the Holiday Season
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (16 ounces) sliced pears
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped almonds, optional
- Drain pears, reserving juice. Divide the pears among six greased 6-oz. custard cups. Spoon 1 tablespoon reserved juice into each cup. (Discard remaining juice or save for another use.)
- In a bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, lemon peel and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in almonds if desired. Sprinkle over pears. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Pear Crisp Cups in Taste of Home April/May 1999, p14