Meet the Cook: Since he's a livestock truck driver, my husband often starts work around 2 or 3 a.m. A piece of this crisp will keep him going till breakfast. And our two boys - ages 10 and 7 - love to have it for dessert and in their school lunches. -Joanne Korevaar, Burgessville, Ontario
- 8 medium ripe pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- Fresh mint and additional pear slices, optional
- Toss pears with orange juice; place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine the sugar, cinnamon, allspice and ginger; sprinkle over pears.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar and baking powder; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over pears.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until topping is golden brown and fruit is tender. Serve warm. Garnish with mint and additional pears if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Pear Crisp in Country Woman March/April 1999, p31
Reviews for Pear Crisp
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review