I love the warm, spicy flavors and festive fall fruits in this upside-down gingerbread cake. It's simple enough to whip up for lunch boxes, but also has a place at any holiday buffet. —Christina Metke, Calgary, Alberta
Recommended: Top 10 Gingerbread Recipes
- 3/4 cup butter, melted, divided
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 3 medium pears, sliced
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 3/4 cup brewed chai tea
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pour 1/4 cup melted butter into a 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with 1/3 cup brown sugar. Arrange pears and cranberries in a single layer over brown sugar.
- In a small bowl, beat the brewed tea, sugar, molasses, egg and remaining butter and brown sugar until well blended. Combine the remaining ingredients; gradually beat into tea mixture until blended.
- Spoon over pears. Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 24 servings.
Originally published as Pear-Cranberry Gingerbread Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2013, p58
Reviews for Pear-Cranberry Gingerbread Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review