"I'm always looking for new ways to use fresh pears, and this recipe from my sister was a hit," shares Eileen Bishop of Vale, Oregon. Serve the pears for dessert , over oatmeal or alongside ham or chicken.
3 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 teaspoon aniseed
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 medium pears, peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup dried apricots, halved
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Place aniseed on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners
- of cloth and tie with kitchen string to form a bag. In a small
- saucepan, combine water and sugar. Add spice bag. Bring to a boil;
- boil for 5 minutes. Discard spice bag.
- Add the pears, apricots, raisins and cherries to sugar syrup. Bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or
- until pears are tender. Stir in lemon juice. Serve warm or chilled.
- Yield: 1-1/2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 239 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 4 mg sodium, 61 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 2 g protein.