Pear Apple Pie Recipe
When it's apple season, I reach for this recipe from The Apple Fare restaurant in Grass Valley. Owner Joyce Rollings says homemade pies are paramount at this family eatery.—The Apple Fare Restaurant, Grass Valley, California
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3-1/2 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 1-1/2 cups sliced peeled pears
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1. In a bowl, combine 1 cup flour and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing lightly with a fork until the dough forms a ball. On a floured surface, roll out dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Flute edges. In a large bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon and remaining flour. Add apples and pears; toss. Pour into crust.
- 2. For topping, combine flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle over filling. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until fruit is tender. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 360 calories, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 211 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC