Pear Apple Pie Recipe
When it's apple season, I reach for this recipe from The Apple Fare restaurant in Grass Valley. Owner Joyce Rollings says homemade pies are paramount at this family eatery.—The Apple Fare Restaurant, Grass Valley, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3-1/2 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 1-1/2 cups sliced peeled pears
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1. In a bowl, combine 1 cup flour and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing lightly with a fork until the dough forms a ball. On a floured surface, roll out dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Flute edges. In a large bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon and remaining flour. Add apples and pears; toss. Pour into crust.
- 2. For topping, combine flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle over filling. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until fruit is tender. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 360 calories, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 211 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC