With two kinds of fruit, these bars from our Test Kitchen have mass appeal. The lovely lattice top makes it special for get-togethers.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup shortening
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 9 tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 4 cups finely chopped peeled apples
- 3 cups finely chopped peeled ripe pears
- 1 egg white, beaten
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks, lemon juice and water; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide in half, making one portion slightly larger. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out larger portion of dough between two large sheets of waxed paper into a 17-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Transfer to an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Press pastry onto the bottom and up the sides of pan; trim pastry even with top edges.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add apples and pears; toss to coat. Spoon over crust.
- Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim and seal edges. Brush lattice top with egg white.
- Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Pear-Apple Pie Bars in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p233
Reviews for Pear-Apple Pie Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review