Pear and Poppy Seed Loaf Recipe
Hands down, this slightly sweet loaf is my husband and children's favorite. Instead of butter, I top slices with plain yogurt. —Sherry Flaquel, Cutler Bay, Florida
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely chopped peeled ripe pears
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the egg, buttermilk, honey, butter and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in pears.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
1 slice equals 201 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 246 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC