- 4 cups pear juice
- 4 pounds pears, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 vanilla bean (3 inches), split in half lengthwise
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs (4 inches)
- 1 teaspoon white balsamic vinegar
- In a large saucepan, bring pear juice to a boil; cook 30 minutes or until reduced to 1 cup. Stir in pears and salt; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook 15-20 minutes or until pears are tender. Cool slightly.
- Transfer pear mixture to a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Return to the pan; add vanilla bean. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 65-75 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Discard vanilla bean. Stir in rosemary and vinegar; cover and let stand 30 minutes.
- Discard rosemary. Cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving. Yield: 2 cups.
Reviews for Pear-adise Butter
"Forgot to say that I discarded the ginger at the same time I discarded the vanilla bean and the cinnamon."
"This is quite yummy!!! A bit messy for the stove because I could not find pear juice and substituted pear nectar. The nectar splattered quite a bit during the boiling down process. I also used three, 2 1/2 inch sticks of cinnamon instead of the rosemary and added a one inch piece of crystilized ginger. I used apple cider vinegar instead of the white balsamic vinegar. I added the cinnamon sticks with the vanilla bean and discarded them with the bean. The butter was very yummy. I would make this again!!!"
"How much rosemary; 12 inches total or 4 inches total??Regards, Gloria J. Perez"
"I think somethings missing in this recipe...I did everything according to the recipe, but mine never congealed. It has the consistency of applesauce, am I missing something? Otherwise, the taste is delicious!*please note that you can find pear juice in any health food section of your grocer, or health food store. It is with the natural juices ...."
"If you have an orchard near you, they might have pear juice."
"Look for Pear Nectar. I'm sure that's what they ment or...juice saved from canned pears. I am going to use the nectar."
"Looks interesting but I don't know where to purchase pear juice. Will apple juice work?"
"This looks delicious, but I have never seen pear juice in the store. Is it readily available? I was surprised to see no added sugar, so I assume it is more savory than apple butter. (?)"