Pear 'n' Prosciutto Pork Loin Recipe
This pork is magnificent served on a bed of mesclun with fresh goat cheese and roasted veggies. If prosciutto is unavailable, use thin deli ham in the stuffing.
- 1 bottle (750 milliliters) sweet white wine
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 3 whole cloves
- 4 medium Bosc pears, peeled and quartered
- 1 boneless whole pork loin roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 8 thin slices prosciutto (about 4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- In a large saucepan, combine the wine, water, sugar, ginger, cinnamon sticks and cloves; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add pears; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, carefully remove pears and cool to room temperature. Continue to simmer poaching liquid, uncovered, for 15-25 minutes or until reduced to 2 cups. Remove and discard cinnamon sticks and cloves. Set liquid aside.
- Cut a lengthwise slit down center of roast to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Open roast so it lies flat; cover with plastic wrap. Flatten to 3/4-in. thickness. Remove plastic; sprinkle meat with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Top with prosciutto and pears. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; tie several times with kitchen string.
- Place in a shallow roasting pan lined with heavy-duty foil. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Cover and let stand 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- Add remaining salt and pepper to poaching liquid and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in butter until melted. Serve with meat. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Pear 'n' Prosciutto Pork Loin in Country Woman July/August 2006, p43
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Pear 'n' Prosciutto Pork Loin(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- New Year's Dinner Recipes >
- New Year's Recipes >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >
- Pork Main Dishes >