Pear 'n' Apple Cobbler Recipe
Nutmeg lends a homey touch to apple pie filling and canned pears topped with tender biscuits. "I've received many great comments about this dessert from my family and friends," writes Shirley Brown of Pocatello, Idaho. "Vanilla ice cream makes a wonderful addition to it," she recommends.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg, divided
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) sliced pears, drained
- 1-1/2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the cornstarch, 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg and orange juice until smooth. Gently stir in pie filling and pears. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Keep warm.
- 2. In a medium bowl, combine the biscuit mix, 2 tablespoons sugar, milk and butter just until blended. Pour hot filling into an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Drop batter in six mounds onto fruit mixture. Combine the remaining sugar and nutmeg; sprinkle over the top.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and a toothpick inserted in the biscuit topping comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup equals 352 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 476 mg sodium, 66 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC