Pear & Turkey Sausage Rigatoni Recipe
- 8 ounces uncooked rigatoni or large tube pasta
- 2 Italian turkey sausage links (4 ounces each), casings removed
- 2 medium pears, sliced
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese, divided
- Toasted sliced almonds, optional
- 1. Cook rigatoni according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into large crumbles. Add pears; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 3. Drain rigatoni; add to sausage mixture. Add spinach, cream and 1/4 cup cheese; cook 3-4 minutes or until spinach is wilted, stirring occasionally. Top with remaining cheese. If desired, sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cups (calculated without almonds) equals 273 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 333 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.