Peanutty Chicken Soup Recipe
Creamy peanut butter and pureed tomatoes flavor the tender chicken in this unusual soup. I got the recipe from my aunt who served as a missionary in Africa for 45 years. "Soup" is the Nigerian word for "gravy."
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Dash salt
- 1 cup water
- 4 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 3 large sweet red peppers, cut into wedges
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- In a Dutch oven, brown chicken in 2 tablespoons oil; drain. Brush chicken with soy sauce; sprinkle with salt. Add water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the tomatoes, red peppers and onion. Cover and process until blended.
- In a large saucepan, heat remaining oil over medium heat; add tomato mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in peanut butter until blended. Add to the chicken; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Peanutty Chicken Soup in Taste of Home
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Peanutty Chicken Soup(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review