Peanut Shrimp Kabobs
In Middletown, Delaware, Helen Gilden gives shrimp a taste of the Orient. Soy sauce and peanut butter are combine in a sauce that glazes the shrimp nicely as she grills them. "I like to serve these kabobs as an appetizer when I'm entertaining," Helen notes.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- In a small saucepan, combine the first six ingredients until smooth.
- Cook and stir over medium-low heat until blended and sugar is
- dissolved. Set aside 6 tablespoons sauce.
- On eight metal or soaked wooden skewers, thread the shrimp. Brush
- with remaining peanut sauce. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a
- paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack.
- Grill kabobs, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat
- for 4-6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, turning once. Brush with
- reserved sauce before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One kabob equals 151 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 126 mg cholesterol, 492 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1/2 starch.