Peanut Pie Recipe
Peanut butter makes this rich pie an extra special treat. It is fancy enough to serve to company.—Armetta Keeney, Carlisle, Iowa
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + cooling Bake: 15 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 pie pastry (9 inches), baked and cooled
- 2/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch, divided
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup water
- 1. Place confectioners' sugar in a bowl. Cut in the peanut butter with a pastry blender until crumbly. Set aside 2 tablespoons for garnish. Sprinkle remaining crumbs into the pie shell.
- 2. In a saucepan, combine 2/3 cup sugar, 1/2 cup cornstarch, egg yolks and milk; cook over medium heat until mixture thickens. Remove from the heat; add butter and vanilla, stirring until the butter melts. Pour into pie shell.
- 3. In a small saucepan, combine remaining sugar and cornstarch with water; cook over low heat until thickened. Cool slightly. Beat egg whites until stiff; fold in cornstarch mixture. Spread meringue over the hot filling, sealing to edges. Sprinkle reserved peanut butter mixture over top. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 466 calories, 22 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 103 mg cholesterol, 266 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC