Peanut-Filled Devil's Food Cupcakes Recipe
This recipe from Mary Lou Timpson of Colorado City, Arizona features a luscious peanut butter filling surrounded with devil's food and then iced with a rich layer of ganache. “They're to die for!” says Mary Lou Timpson.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 1. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and coffee just until combined.
- 2. Filled paper-lined muffin cups half full. Bake at 325° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For filling, in a small bowl, beat peanut butter and butter until fluffy. Gradually add confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a small tip. Add filling. Push the tip through the bottom of paper liner to fill each cupcake.
- 4. For ganache, place chocolate in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Cool for 10 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened.
- 5. Place a heaping tablespoonful of ganache on top of each cupcake; spread toward the edges. Sprinkle with peanuts. Chill for 20 minutes or until set. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 294 calories, 19 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 282 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC