I use my grandmother's recipe to make these crisp peanutty cookies, which are a hearty between-meal snack...especially when you're traveling. They are my husband's all-time favorites.—Wendy Masters, Grand Valley, Ontario
24 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups salted peanuts
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla until
- light and fluffy. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add
- to the creamed mixture. Fold in peanuts. Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 in.
- apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes
- or until browned and almost set (centers will be soft). Remove to a
- wire rack to cool. Yield: 4 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 203 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 138 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.