Peanut Cake Squares Recipe
When I was in high school, I worked for an Irish family...and they made these yummy treats each year for St. Patrick's Day. The sweet frosting and salty peanuts are an irresistible combination. The only complaint my husband has is that I make them just once a year! -Bridget Jones, Veyo, Utah
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + freezing Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 4 eggs
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 7-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups finely chopped peanuts
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla until thick and lemon-colored, about 4 minutes. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture. Beat on low speed just until combined. Beat in milk and butter.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Cover and freeze overnight.
- 3. For frosting, in a small bowl, beat the confectioners' sugar, milk, vanilla and salt until smooth. Frost the top and sides of frozen cake squares; roll in peanuts. Place on wire racks to set. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 496 calories, 21 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 298 mg sodium, 68 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC