Peanut Butter Meringue Pie Recipe
My four sons clamor for the peanut butter pie. My mom found the recipe from a farmwife magazine in the 1960s, and now I'm teaching our sons' wives to make it. —Judy Hernke, Mundelein, Illinois
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- Dash cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Fill with dried beans, uncooked rice or pie weights.
- 2. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake 5-7 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat confectioners' sugar and peanut butter until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- 4. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 5. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in butter and vanilla.
- 6. Sprinkle 1 cup peanut butter mixture over crust. Pour hot filling over top.
- 7. In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Sprinkle with remaining peanut butter mixture.
- 8. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 464 calories, 21 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 283 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 11 g protein.
Reviews for Peanut Butter Meringue Pie
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC