Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwiches Recipe
Store-bought treats can't hold a candle to homemade ice cream sandwiches. This frozen dessert is fantastic. —Teresa Gaetzke, North Freedom, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. Bake: 10 min. + freezing YIELD:16 servings
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces dark chocolate candy coating, chopped
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream shortening, peanut butter, 1/2 cup sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Roll into 1-in. balls; roll in remaining sugar. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a fork, forming a crisscross pattern.
- 3. Bake 9-11 minutes or until set (do not overbake). Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. In a microwave, melt candy coating; stir until smooth. Spread a heaping teaspoonful on the bottom of each cookie; place chocolate side up on waxed paper until set.
- 5. To make ice cream sandwiches, place 1/4 cup ice cream on the bottom of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Wrap in plastic wrap; freeze on a baking sheet overnight. Yield: 16 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 389 calories, 20 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 223 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC