- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 24 miniature peanut butter cups
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- Additional miniature peanut butter cups, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, peanut butter, oil and eggs; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Place a peanut butter cup in the center of each cupcake. Cover each with 1 tablespoonful batter.
- Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of the cupcake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place chocolate in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Stir in peanut butter. Cool, stirring occasionally, to room temperature or until mixture reaches a spreading consistency, about 10 minutes.
- Spread over cupcakes; immediately sprinkle with additional peanut butter cups. Let stand until set. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Peanut Butter Cup Chocolate Cupcakes
"I make these for my grandsons and daughter-in-law. They are peanut butter lovers and these cupcakes are right up their alley. They really enjoy them as does the rest of the family. Will make them again for sure.These are definitely a 5 star rating!Nancy Foust (_nlfPA)Field Editor PA"
"These were absolutely decadent! I made them for a Super Bowl party. They were a huge hit with kids and adults alike. The ganache frosting is awesome!"
"Used butter instead of canola oil, but other than that I followed the recipe exactly. They were great!"
"I just finished making these and I could not wait to frost them. But I messed up again! Recipe called for 2/3 c whipping cream so I wanted to use up the rest of the container so I put in the other 1/2 cup, big mistake! The frosting did not thicken, so I added confectionary sugar, but it still did not thicken. The frosting was delicious and I only could use a third of it. I always use milk chocolate chips. So I'll save the frosting to use over ice cream, etc. The taste was very delicious so I shared w/neighbors."
"Family loved these and they are so pretty! I also dipped the cupcakes in the warm frosting and sprinkled them with the chopped pb cups....chopped them a little finer than the picture. I was BETTER than a rock star, lol!"