- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Peanuts, split in half
- Brown M&M's minis
- Miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Black shoestring licorice, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Beat peanut butter, butter and sugars until well blended. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together flour and baking soda; gradually beat into peanut butter mixture (dough will be soft). Refrigerate until firm enough to shape, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; taper one side to resemble a mouse. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Add peanuts for ears, M&M's for noses and chocolate chips for eyes.
- Bake until set, 8-10 minutes. Immediately insert licorice pieces into warm cookies for tails. Remove from pan to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Reviews forPeanut Butter Christmas Mice
"Very fun to make with kids. Kids love them!"
"These mice are absolutely adorable and taste delicious. They are relatively easy to make, but I have had issues with the decorations staying put."
"I've been making these for years. My children often help. Thanks for the wonderful family tradition!"
"The appearance far out weighs the taste - because I am a peanut butter cookie fanatic. A little tedious with the holly around the ears but totally worth it. Kiddos LOVE this and will eat it even if it's not so tasty. Not sweet enough. Also, be sure to insert the tails fresh out of the oven or you can't get them to go in. If you delay, you must repeatedly explain that a cat ate their tail..."
"The Best,fun to eat kids love them"
"Make sure you use real butter, not margerine, and they will not flatten."
"I've been making these mice cookies since the recipe was first published. They are always a HUGE hit!!!"
"Cookies are light and tasty and so cute!"