- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, peanut butter, sugar and milk until smooth; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, water, milk, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened (batter will be thin).
- Fill paper-lined jumbo muffin cups half full with batter. Drop a scant tablespoonful of peanut butter mixture into center of each; cover with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine frosting ingredients until smooth; frost cupcakes. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 1 dozen jumbo cupcakes.
Reviews for Peanut Butter Chocolate Cupcakes
"Best Recipe Ever. Always requested when we have food day at work. Easy and so yummy!"
"I've made these multiple times and they always turn out beautifully. It's the perfect amount of peanut butter for a salty-sweet combo!"
"I made the recipe exactly as it was printed and when the time was up to pull the cupcakes out of the oven, I saw that the middles were sunk ?? what caused that?"
"I made these exactly how the recipe directed, and they were out of this world, delicious!! My cupcake pans are "standard" size, so it made an entire two dozen! I wish I'd thought to double the frosting, though! This is a definite keeper! Thanks!"
"this is THE best chocolate and peanut butter recipe I have ever made. It reminds me of funny bones. It is a recipe that is requested many times!"
"I'm glad I read the recepie carefully to see it called for large muffin tins. I used standard sized tins and made 24 standard cupcakes in liners. I doubled the peanutbutter filling so each cupcake had about a tablespoon. I frosted just like the photo and still used a a single batch. Cupcakes turned out nice and moist and frosting had a fabulous rich flavor. Little time consuming, but worth it."
"DON"T waste your time. I would give zero if I could. I wish I could attach a picture to show you how poorly these turned out. Ruined, and now I will be going to the Christmas party with nothing. I used all the batter, and there was an excess - but it was supposed to be "12 large cupcakes"- turned into overflowed pan (glad I didn't use the excess). Made a huge mess. Wouldn't separate. The peanut butter gooed out the bottom. Worst recipe I think I've ever followed. Would never try this again."
"the frosting tastes like pure cocoa powder"
"I'll break down my review: the chocolate cake part itself is okay. It's very moist, but seems to be almost too soft (if that makes sense?) There wasn't much chocolate flavor in the cake itself. The peanut butter filling is pretty good, but I'd probably double the amount in the future. And finally, the frosting is absolutely DELICIOUS! One of the best chocolate frostings I have ever made!"
"First Off- I am only reviewing the filling!And It is good, Only giving it 4 * b/c I found a way to make EVEN BETTER! I made this 3 x, Once as someone else said & once as recipe is, & then I only had 2oz cream cheese...THE BEST! 1/2 C. Peanut butter + 2oz Cream cheese & a pinch of salt. the rest is the same as recipe called for! DELISH & bakes great inside, this is perfect to get that reese pb cup-cake feel :) Oh, & I froze the leftover filling...but then ate it up like frozen cookie dough. yeah.."