Peanut Butter Braids Recipe
A peanut butter filling sets this sweet bread apart from all the rest. I can picture my grandma making many of these delightful loaves in her cozy kitchen.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 4-1/4 to 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- Vanilla Glaze, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, butter, salt, eggs and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Divide each portion into thirds. Roll each portion into a 16-in. x 3-1/2-in. rectangle. In a small bowl, beat peanut butter and butter until smooth. Spread down the center third of each rectangle. Fold dough lengthwise over filling; pinch seam and ends to seal.
- 4. Place three strips seam side down on a greased baking sheet; gently braid. Pinch ends to seal and tuck ends under. Repeat with remaining strips. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Drizzle with glaze if desired. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 220 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 264 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC