Peanut Butter Braids Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 4-1/4 to 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- Vanilla Glaze, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, butter, salt, eggs and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Divide each portion into thirds. Roll each portion into a 16-in. x 3-1/2-in. rectangle. In a small bowl, beat peanut butter and butter until smooth. Spread down the center third of each rectangle. Fold dough lengthwise over filling; pinch seam and ends to seal.
- 4. Place three strips seam side down on a greased baking sheet; gently braid. Pinch ends to seal and tuck ends under. Repeat with remaining strips. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Drizzle with glaze if desired. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 slice: 220 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 264mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein
Reviews for Peanut Butter Braids
"Much easier to divide dough in half and roll into a 16" by 9" rectangle and then cut into thirds."